Are you finding 3D terrain applications confusing and challenging to learn?
Do you experience technical headaches in creating 3D scenes?
Fortunately there’s a great solution called FlowScape which provides an easier way to paint and quickly generate 3D scenes.
It removes many of the barriers and user interface challenges that you find in more expensive solutions to create natural terrains.
Yet FlowScape does have a wide range of options for scene creation and it can be easy to miss these, preventing full use of the software.
In this new live masterclass, led by Alan Smithee we are going to show you a Complete Guide to FlowScape so that you can:
1. Take FlowScape to its limits for useful artistic output
2. Learn all of the best FlowScape resources and tips in one place
3. Import characters or props into the scene with less headaches
4. Go beyond the “small island” or apparent terrain limit of FlowScape
This coaching group is for you if …
1. You want to create detailed natural scenes without technical barriers.
2. You feel frustrated with taking a long time to create a scene.
3. You struggle with 3D terminology
We’ve discovered that quite a few artists might buy the FlowScape license, which is inexpensive – but leave it on the shelf or just use it a few times before putting it to one side.
From our previous live coaching programs we know that some students achieve so much more by working in a close-knit group with live training. They end up using the complete potential of the software and use it on a more regular basis.
It is motivating to :-
- Work in real-time on creativity with training
- Discover new ideas and insights from other group members
- Produce great artistic output through weekly challenges and assignments
This course is for you if you want to accomplish:
- A complete knowledge of FlowScape – found all in one place.
- Better control for editing terrains.
- Improved placement of assets in FlowScape
- Ridding the typical niggles experienced when using FlowScape
- Better control over importing new assets for FlowScape
- “Out of the box” thinking for using FlowScape in completely different ways
AlanSmithee – FlowScape Coach and Trainer
Alan is one of the best (perhaps THE best) FlowScape artists out there, since he has continually pushed FlowScape to its limits.
His work caught the eye of FlowScape developer Chris Hunter and he is one of the lead artists involved in the FlowScape Discord forum – so his knowledge on FlowScape is absolute.
AlanSmithee is a visual artist based in Philadelphia, USA, with experience in filmmaking, photography, design, and art direction. Their day job involves project management, design for web and print, book covers, instructional design, and the creation of graphic assets. They are knowledgeable in the use of Blender, Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere, After Effects, etc.), FlowScape & many other tools.
AlanSmithee began exploring FlowScape in 2019 and joined a welcoming community for artists looking to share, learn, and grow. They use Flowscape to create sci-fi and fantasy concept art, and as a showcase for the models and textures they create while honing their skills in professional 3D programs like Blender, Unity, and Unreal Engine.
In June 2020 AlanSmithee became a FlowScape community manager and official tutorial designer, creating guides to FlowScape’s basic functions, advanced techniques, and creative possibilities. They enjoy creating images in innovative ways and sharing their results & knowledge with the supportive FlowScape community.
Paul Bussey – Course Host and Facilitator
I have been inspiring, promoting, educating and connecting digital artists since 2010. We’ve published over 140 issues of our magazines 3D Art Direct, Digital Art Live and VISNews, with in-depth interviews of fantastic artists that inspire others with their work. I’ve hosted and organised over 220 live events to connect and educate digital artists, with many events having a focus on 3D figure based software such as DAZ Studio or Poser.
What other customers are saying…
Working with Paul and Digital Art Live has given me such a fresh approach upon my art. From a friendly and welcoming environment, to a supporting and cohesive set of tutors and support. Going on the Studio Mastery Course was the biggest leap of faith I have taken with regards to artistic endeavours, and I do not regret a single moment of it. Paul is a wonderful host and lead for the courses and demonstrates the ability to nurture people of all skill levels and help them blossom into the creative delights that they wish to be. I would pick up another course like this in a heartbeat to continue my journey and growth through the creative landscape of my mind.
My experience with Esha and your program for learning rigging is beyond phenomenal. I came in with the impression that this was going to be a quick tutorial on how to setup basic technical settings on how to do a basic rig in DAZ Studio. Boy was I wrong! In a good way! Every time we set up a session, I am blown away by how much detail and problem solving Esha’s sessions go into! I would not have imagined the advanced techniques and attention to detail she brings into each session! I’ve heard a few students call this information priceless, and I agree 100%.
The private forums are so full of information! Just reading people’s questions and people’s responses, it’s an invaluable time saver! When I read the questions and their solutions it reminds me, “I would have had to go thru those hiccups myself, and there’s the solution!”. The chat room creates a great sense that you’re not alone, and it gives you a freedom to test things out and get into “trouble”. I am more than satisfied with this course. It has surpassed my expectations and more! I highly, highly recommend this type of session to anyone!
Areas of Artistic Growth
Over 8 weeks of learning, we’ll look at all aspects of FlowScape in a structured framework.
We’ll examine the vital parts of building a basic FlowScape terrain but go beyond that in more complex creative projects that will surprise what you can achieve with the application.
The fantasy and sci-fi scene scenes that we will study will be peppered throughout the course.
- Initial setup
- Navigation and camera controls
- Working with the primary set terrains
- Working with objects
- Techniques for building terrains
- Image capturing
- Visibility layers
- Crash proof tips and saving
Advanced Building Techniques
- Optimising FlowScape
- Beyond the island base
- The procedural generator
- Sky maps
Lighting Case Studies
- Three Lighting types explored
- General lighting challenges/constraints
- Internal lighting
- External lighting
- Night scenes
Import New Assets Workshop
- Standard import
- Four case studies
- 2 characters
- 2 substantial props
- Importing pre-rendered assets
- Examining and editing MTL files
Fantasy Scenes Studies
- Build a Medieval castle and surroundings
- Pirate’s cove
- Recreate “Bag-end”
Sci-fi Scene Studies
- Create a planetary system
- Build a Moon surface
- Construct a Sci-fi corridor
Animation Case Studies
- Showcase : examples of what’s possible
- Important notes about the camera for animation
- About frame rates
- Avoiding stuttering
- Recommended settings
- Putting the frames together : using Davinci Resolve (free)
- Using FlowScape for orthographic map creation.
- How to build virtual tour panoramas
- Review creative achievements of class members
Here’s How it Works
Eight weeks of Support and Training
Each week we’ll have a live webinar meeting (up to 1.5 hours) composed of training , coaching and follow up.
The meeting will be recorded, which will be searchable and include captions (standard and VIP membership only). So if you miss a meeting, or want to go over something again then you’re covered. Basic membership level will include an MP4 recording for each meeting that will not be searchable or captioned.
The topics of these training sessions will be based on the needs of the group. We will share solutions, strategies and techniques to help you get results where you need them.
This is where everyone will share wins, goals, and challenges to get support, accountability, and feedback from the group and guidance from us.
You’ll have opportunities to get a focus just on you and have us as as a group look over your goals and challenges to help help you leap forward in your creativity.
If needed, I’ll bring in trusted colleagues from my network who are experts in any extra areas we may want to focus on.
Private online forum to interact with the group between lessons
Any time you need some input or encouragement, you can turn to the private forum to connect with other group members, which will be inside the Digital Art Live STUDIO
This extends the benefits of the coaching group beyond the live webinar lessons. (for standard and VIP membership levels only)
When will the Course be Run?
We’ll run the course from April the 2nd until the 21st of May on each Saturday. Each live meeting will be run on Saturdays at 19:00 BST (London) / 11:00 PDT (Los Angeles) / 14:00 EDT (New York)
If you would like additional resources, there’s a VIP add-on option that gives you the following in addition to everything above:-
- Additional one-to-one Zoom session working on any FlowScape solutions for your needs including advancing you on any challenging OBJ imports.
- Gain a searchable pre-recorded eight part DEEP composition course (by Paul Bussey) to provide you with 50 techniques to improve your composition that will boost your composition skills when setting up and composing your FlowScape scenes OR… Gain a searchable pre-recorded eight part DEEP Postwork course by Drew Spence to advance your postwork skills; again this could add a great deal of value to your FlowScape artwork. Both sets have over 12 hours of instruction.
- Two PDF interviews with Chris Hunter, the FlowScape author and two searchable FlowScape recordings.
- Gain a quick reference PDF cheat sheet of all the shortcut keys and little known techniques that will help you to become a power user of FlowScape.