- This event has passed.
Character Design : Villains : Community Workshop
October 30, 2022 @ 8:00 pm - 9:30 pm GMTFree – $157.00
In this community workshop, we’re going to look at Halloween and villain styled characters. There’s a lot to learn from breaking down those visual elements that we would subconsciously add up to recognise a classic ghoulish or villainous character.
From the examples in the event poster above, who would you guess is the most villainous? What visual cues have caused you to make that decision?
So what are the visual stereotypical traits of a villain, such as a bad witch or wizard?
– Sharp features?
– Older? Unhealthier?
– Pale or unhealthy coloured complexion?
– Abnormal skin? Scars? Tattoos?
– Angry expression?
– Unattractiive face?
– Asymmetrical face?
– Concealed or partially concealed face?
– Exaggerated features?
– Narrow faces = aggressive personality?
– Narrow eyes?
– Visual threat of contamination?
– Size = tall, giant = threatening?
– More likely to carry a weapon?
I’ll be sharing a series of character art pieces that include many of these stereotypical traits, talking about some more of these in depth during that presentation.
I’d also like to see any of your creepiest, darkest and scariest renders to learn about the important elements that create these ghostly graphics, especially in terms of character art.
This is an open webinar for artists that use ANY software to create their dark renders.
Let’s share our collective experience and talk about:-
- Stylish, yet creepy character design
- What makes a villain a villain?
- Any of your own creepy artwork and what you learned during the creative process
- Essentials of mood and low level lighting in scenes
- Your most villainous characters
- Use of silhouettes
- Use of masks or ways of hiding the face
- Composition : what we don’t see is scarier?
- Colour sets for scary scenes
- Your favourite scary assets : characters, clothing, scenes and props
Get Prepared for this Community Webinar by…
- Selecting at least one of your most villainous character renders.
- Looking for your top three chilling or spooky atmospheric renders.
- Your top tip for emphasising a villainous character.
- Noting which assets you used that you might recommend.
Date: Sunday 30th of October
Please note the start time. Daylight savings have ended in Europe, but not in the United States (mostly!)
Time: Sun Oct 30th 20:00 GMT (London) / 16:00 EDT (New York) / 13:00 PDT (Los Angeles)
Duration : 1.5+ hours
- HD searchable and captioned webinar recording of this workshop event
- Bonus searchable tutorial – “Into the Dark” was last years Halloween community event (1.5 hours)
- Bonus tutorial – Hexagon Treats – a bag of 12 useful tips and tricks for modeling in Hexagon software by Arki (1.5+ hours)
Includes all the premium ticket content plus 50% off our Advanced Composition Techniques coaching group we’ll be running later in November
In this coaching course, I am going to show you an Advanced Guide to Composition so that you can:
- Identify the artistic potential in any 3D set
- Never have your renders be ignored again.
- Become fluent with the language of composition : the eight key elements and eight key principles
- Powerfully communicate with your viewers on where to look and what to feel when they see your art.
We’ll learn together in exploring composition techniques across three appealing 3D sets (see renders from the sets below):-
- The city set
- The canyon set
- The mountain lakes set