This month’s mission in the Digital Art Live STUDIO forum looks at a great storytelling venue, a fantasy tavern or as a parallel idea – the Cyberpunk bar.
These are social meeting points where anything could happen for visual storytelling; secret deals (Obi Wan Kenobi seeking for passage on Han Solo’s ship), a bar fight (Indiana Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark) or drunkenness gone wrong (Pippin almost giving the game away at the Sign of the Prancing Pony).
The kind of challenges for the digital artist depicting these kind of scenes are:-
1) Taverns or bars tend to be dark interior environments – they can be a little challenging to light well and depict what’s going on.
2) These places tend to be messy and busy in terms of props. Getting realism can include a fair amount of detailing.
3) Being social gathering points, it’s a case of building plenty of characters in these scenes to make them feel populated and busy.
4) These places can have dense and smokey atmospheres; how do you create that – on the set or as postwork?
This community webinar looks at this typical storytelling scene and we’d love to have your involvement. Let’s talk about how the above challenges can be overcome. Furthermore you may have knowledge of assets that can be used in such scenes, let us know your recommendations during the event.
We’d also love to share your artwork that may depict a tavern, bar, cantina or similar set during the session.
If you have artwork, resources or useful tips to share, even if it’s just for a few minutes, then please get in touch!
This event is free entry. There’s also a premium ticket that includes a stack of value!
- HD Webinar recording of this community workshop
- Integrated searchable video with captions
- Bonus tutorial set : visual narratives workshops – 6 hours of 4 videos with visual story-telling artists sharing their artwork and discussing their creative processes. Webinar Details
Date: Sunday 14th of March
Time: 21:00 GMT (London) / 14:00 PDT (Los Angeles) / 17:00 EDT (New York)
Duration : 1.5+ hours